I am currently a Staff Research Scientist at Samsung Research America (NEON), working on realistic behavior generation in artificial humans or NEONs. Prior to that, I worked as a Senior Computer Vision Scientist at Affectiva (07/2019 - 06/2022), building domain invariant gaze estimation and facial identity/expression recognition & synthesis models. I received a PhD from at the University of Notre Dame under the supervision of Dr. Patrick Flynn and Dr. Kevin Bowyer (co-advisers), and Dr. Walter Scheirer. My doctoral dissertation primarily focuses on artificial face synthesis (stills and videos) & reposing and studies their effects on the face recognition pipeline. I also spent some time working with Dr. Marya Lieberman (Notre Dame) on counterfeit drug detection, Dr. Domingo Mery (PUC Chile) on iris segmentation, and Dr. Matthew Shreve (PARC) on facial aging. Before joining grad school (2013), I briefly worked as an engineer for Unisys India after getting my BTech degree (CSE) from NIT Durgapur (2012).
Publications (* denotes equal contribution)
1. S. Banerjee, A. Joshi, and J. Turcot, "The Universal Face Encoder: Learning Disentangled Representations Across Different Attributes", Biometrics@CVPR 2023. [PDF].
2. S. Banerjee, W. Scheirer, K. Bowyer, and P. Flynn, "Analyzing the Impact of Shape & Context on the Face Recognition Performance of Deep Networks", FG 2023. [arxiv]
3. S. Banerjee, A. Joshi, J. Turcot, B. Reimer, and T. Mishra, "Driver Glance Classification In-the-wild: Towards Generalization Across Domains and Subjects", FG 2021. [arxiv] [PDF]
4. S. Banerjee, A. Joshi, P. Mahajan, S. Bhattacharya, S. Kyal, and T. Mishra, "LEGAN: Disentangled Manipulation of Directional Lighting and Facial Expressions whilst Leveraging Human Perceptual Judgements", AMFG@CVPR 2021. [arxiv] [PDF] [Poster] [Synthetic Dataset + Perceptual Labels] [Best Paper Runner Up]
5. S. Banerjee, A. Joshi, A. Ghoneim, S. Kyal, and T. Mishra, "Synthesize & Learn: Jointly Optimizing Generative and Classifier Networks for Improved Drowsiness Detection", ICASSP 2021. [PDF] [Poster]
6. D. Saavedra, S. Banerjee, and D. Mery, "Detection of Threat Objects in Baggage Inspection with X-ray Images using Deep Learning", Neural Computing and Applications (NCAA), 2020. [PDF]
7. A. Joshi, S. Kyal, S. Banerjee, and T. Mishra, "In-The-Wild Drowsiness Detection from Facial Expressions", IV 2020, Workshop Paper. [arxiv]
9. S. Banerjee, W. Scheirer, K. Bowyer, and P. Flynn, "Fast Face Image Synthesis with Minimal Training", WACV 2019. [arxiv] [IEEE Biometrics Newsletter Article] [Notre Dame Synthetic Face Dataset (2M faces,12K synth. subjects, 8K 3D head models)]
10. S. Banerjee*, J. Brogan*, J. Krizaj, A. Bharati, B. RichardWebster, V. Struc, P. Flynn, and W. Scheirer, "To Frontalize or Not To Frontalize: Do We Really Need Elaborate Pre-processing To Improve Face Recognition?", WACV 2018. [PDF] [Code] [Oral] [Poster] [arxiv].
11. D. Mery, and S. Banerjee, "Recognition of Faces and Facial Attributes using Accumulative Local Sparse Representations", ICASSP 2018. [PDF]
13. D. Mery, E. Svec, M. Arias, V. Riffo, J. Saavedra, and S. Banerjee, "Modern Computer Vision Techniques for X-ray Testing in Baggage Inspection", IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems (SMC), 47 (4), pp. 682 - 692, 2017. [PDF]
14. W. Scheirer, P. Flynn, C. Ding, G. Guo, V. Struc, Mohamad Al Jazaery, K. Grm, S. Dobrisek, D. Tao, Y. Zhu, J. Brogan, S. Banerjee, A. Bharati, and B. RichardWebster, "Report on the BTAS 2016 Video Person Recognition Evaluation", BTAS 2016. [PDF]
15. S. Banerjee, J. Sweet, C. Sweet, and M. Lieberman, "Visual Recognition of Paper Analytical Device Images for Detection of Falsified Pharmaceuticals", WACV 2016. [PDF] [Poster] [Oral] [arxiv] [Project Page]
17. S. Banerjee, "Identification of Handwritten Text in Machine Printed Document Images", DPPR, 2012. [PDF]
Other Relevant Information
1. Invited Talks - Colorado State University (2021), MIT AgeLab/AVT Consortium (2021), WACV 2019 Doctoral Consortium, Midwest Vision Workshop 2018, Amazon Graduate Research Symposium 2017, NSF Data Science Workshop 2016.
2. Outstanding Reviewer Award - CVPR 2021.
3. Area Chair - WACV 2024, WACV 2023; PC Member - Human Behavior Understanding Workshop, WACV 2021.
4. Conference Reviewer - CVPR 2020/21/22/23, ECCV 2022, ICCV 2021/23, WACV 2020/21/22, ICPR 2022, ACCV 2020, IJCB 2020/21/23, BTAS 2019, ICB 2019.
5. Journal Reviewer - TPAMI, TIP, TIFS, TBIOM, TSMC, TVCJ.
6. Teaching - Computer Networks (CSE 30264) and Ethics and Professional Issues (CSE 40175). (Fall '13 and Spring '14, both at Notre Dame)