Email: Office: 53 State St, Floor 37, Boston, MA 02109
I am a Computer Vision Scientist at Affectiva, working on building domain invariant facial identity/expression/attributes recognition & synthesis models. Prior to Affectiva, I was part of the CVRL group at the University of Notre Dame working on my PhD under the supervision of Dr. Patrick Flynn and Dr. Kevin Bowyer (co-advisers), and Dr. Walter Scheirer. My doctoral dissertation primarily focuses on artificial face synthesis (stills and videos) & reposing and studies their effects on the face recognition pipeline. I also spent some time working with Dr. Marya Lieberman on counterfeit drug detection at Notre Dame and with Dr. Matthew Shreve on facial aging at Xerox PARC. Before joining graduate school in 2013, I briefly worked as an engineer for Unisys Corp in Bangalore, India, and prior to that I was an undergrad learning about computers at NIT Durgapur (2008-2012).
Publications (* denotes equal contribution)
1. S. Banerjee, A. Joshi, J. Turcot, B. Reimer, and T. Mishra, "Driver Glance Classification In-the-wild: Towards Generalization Across Domains and Subjects", under review. [arxiv]
2. S. Banerjee, A. Joshi, P. Mahajan, S. Bhattacharya, S. Kyal, and T. Mishra, "LEGAN: Disentangled Manipulation of Directional Lighting and Facial Expressions whilst Leveraging Human Perceptual Judgements", AMFG@CVPR 2021. [arxiv]
3. S. Banerjee, A. Joshi, A. Ghoneim, S. Kyal, and T. Mishra, "Synthesize & Learn: Jointly Optimizing Generative and Classifier Networks for Improved Drowsiness Detection", ICASSP 2021.
4. D. Saavedra, S. Banerjee, and D. Mery, "Detection of Threat Objects in Baggage Inspection with X-ray Images using Deep Learning", Neural Computing and Applications (NCAA), 2020. [paper]
5. A. Joshi, S. Kyal, S. Banerjee, and T. Mishra, "In-The-Wild Drowsiness Detection from Facial Expressions", IV 2020, Workshop Paper. [arxiv]
7. S. Banerjee, W. Scheirer, K. Bowyer, and P. Flynn, "Fast Face Image Synthesis with Minimal Training", WACV 2019. [arxiv] [IEEE Biometrics Newsletter Article] [Notre Dame Synthetic Face Dataset (2M face images of 12K synthetic identities and 8K 3D head models)] [Journal Extension under review]
8. S. Banerjee*, J. Brogan*, J. Krizaj, A. Bharati, B. RichardWebster, V. Struc, P. Flynn, and W. Scheirer, "To Frontalize or Not To Frontalize: Do We Really Need Elaborate Pre-processing To Improve Face Recognition?", WACV 2018. [PDF] [Code] [Oral] [Poster] [arxiv].
9. D. Mery, and S. Banerjee, "Recognition of Faces and Facial Attributes using Accumulative Local Sparse Representations", ICASSP 2018. [PDF]
11. D. Mery, E. Svec, M. Arias, V. Riffo, J. Saavedra, and S. Banerjee, "Modern Computer Vision Techniques for X-ray Testing in Baggage Inspection", IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems (SMC), 47 (4), pp. 682 - 692, 2017. [PDF]
12. W. Scheirer, P. Flynn, C. Ding, G. Guo, V. Struc, Mohamad Al Jazaery, K. Grm, S. Dobrisek, D. Tao, Y. Zhu, J. Brogan, S. Banerjee, A. Bharati, and B. RichardWebster, "Report on the BTAS 2016 Video Person Recognition Evaluation", BTAS 2016. [PDF]
13. S. Banerjee, J. Sweet, C. Sweet, and M. Lieberman, "Visual Recognition of Paper Analytical Device Images for Detection of Falsified Pharmaceuticals", WACV 2016. [PDF] [Poster] [Oral] [arxiv] [Project Page]
15. S. Banerjee, "Identification of Handwritten Text in Machine Printed Document Images", DPPR, 2012. [PDF]
Other Relevant Information
1. Invited Talks - Colorado State University (2021), MIT AgeLab/AVT Consortium (2021), WACV 2019 Doctoral Consortium, Midwest Vision Workshop 2018, Amazon Graduate Research Symposium 2017, NSF Data Science Workshop 2016.
2. Program Committee Member - Human Behavior Understanding Workshop, WACV 2021.
3. Conference Reviewer - CVPR 2020/21, ICCV 2021, WACV 2020/21, ACCV 2020, IJCB 2020/21, BTAS 2019, ICB 2019.
4. Journal Reviewer - TPAMI, TIP, TIFS, TBIOM, TVCJ.
5. Teaching - Computer Networks (CSE 30264) and Ethics and Professional Issues (CSE 40175). (Fall '13 and Spring '14, both at Notre Dame).
6. Relevant coursework - Computer Vision, Algorithms, Biometrics, Computer Graphics, Data Visualization.